Marketing Day: Snapchat’s Sponsored Lenses, a new Google AdSense policy & more
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- 4 critical areas to consider when performing AdWords audits
May 15, 2017 by Matt Umbro
AdWords audits are a great way to win business and check on the health of an account, but columnist Matt Umbro notes that there are some aspects of an audit that are easily overlooked or underexplored. Don’t make these mistakes!
- SEO vs. PPC: Pros, cons & an integrated approach
May 15, 2017 by Marcus Miller
Not sure whether your business would benefit more from paid or organic search marketing efforts? Columnist Marcus Miller breaks them both down, providing insight into where they fit within your larger marketing plan.
- New RLSA Strategies for Search Marketers
May 15, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Search advertising is quickly becoming personal – as mobile dominates desktop and keywords are only part of the equation. If you’re not using RLSAs – Remarketing Lists for Search Ads – you are missing out on a key opportunity to make highly targeted, personalized ads an important part of your paid search strategy.
- Snapchat’s Sponsored Lenses can now be targeted with guarantees, work as World Lenses
May 15, 2017 by Tim Peterson
Audience-targeted Sponsored Lenses can now be bought on a guaranteed basis and paired with the non-selfie variety.
- A smarter approach to ‘back to school’ marketing
May 15, 2017 by James Green
Columnist James Green explains why marketers need to evolve from a decades-old traditional paradigm and instead view back-to-school marketing as a year-round strategy.
- What does it mean to ‘be bold for change?’
May 15, 2017 by Yael Baifus
At a recent Janes of Digital event, contributor Yael Baifus comes away with a new understanding of being bold for change and explains how you can apply it to your own digital marketing career.
- Google now blocking ads on specific pages, rather than entire sites, for AdSense policy violations
May 15, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
A new policy center gives AdSense publishers more information about actions and how to fix them.
- Let’s get visual: Shopping from within images
May 12, 2017 by Christi Olson
Columnist Christi Olson outlines exciting developments that bring image search and shopping together to enhance the search experience for users.
- What can legacy media teach us about programmatic’s future?
May 12, 2017 by Chuck Moran
Digital technologies revolutionized the way we consume media, but columnist Chuck Moran wonders if there are some elements of old media (print, TV) that advertisers might take back if we could.
- The future of B2B marketing: ABM and AI
May 12, 2017 by Peter Isaacson
Columnist Peter Isaacson believes Account-Based Marketing and artificial intelligence hold big promise for bringing B2B marketers closer to delivering personal, one-to-one customer experiences.
- VoiceLabs launches audio ads for Alexa skills
May 12, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Company is seeing a lot of advertiser demand from CPG companies, says CEO.
- Start Listening! 7 Real-World Tips for Better Social Engagement
May 12, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Pepsi… Fox News… Uber. Look at recent headlines, and you’ll see the impact social media can have on a brand. In today’s 24/7 news cycle, responding quickly and appropriately to customers on social media can be the difference between success and disaster.
- Relevance vs. authority: Which link has more value? (Part 2)
May 12, 2017 by Andrew Dennis
In part two of his three-part series on authority versus relevance in link building, columnist Andrew Dennis hears from experts who favor authority.
- Canonical tags are easy, right? What’s the worst that could happen?
May 12, 2017 by Patrick Stox
Columnist Patrick Stox outlines when to use the canonical tag, as well as some common problems that occur during implementation.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- How do you measure video ad success? It’s not about the click, Digiday
Blogs & Blogging
- 3 Ways to Avoid Churning Out Mediocre Blog Posts, Contently
- 5 Reasons No One’s Reading Your Blog Posts (And How to Fix Them), Search Engine Journal
- 5 Ways a Blog Can Help Your Business Right Now, Search Engine Journal
- 2017 Is the Year Brands Buy Media Companies, Content Marketing Institute
- Content Marketing Writing Style: Why It Matters, Stone Temple
- How to Become a Prolific Content Creator (an Interview with Kelly Exeter), Problogger
- Report: Customers Yearn for More Personalized Marketing Content, KoMarketing
- The Easy Guide to Creating Expert Roundup Articles, Search Engine Journal
- The Power of Being Second: How Red Bull is Winning the (Content) Marketing Wars, Mack Collier
- The Real Reason Employees Aren’t Sharing Your Content, Marketo
- What You Need to Know to Get a Wikipedia Article Published, Content Marketing Institute
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 15+ Static Site Generators to Complement Your Headless CMS, CMS Wire
- 5 Reasons to Write Different Ad Copy for Facebook & AdWords, The AdStage Blog
- 6 Colors That Are Proven to Boost Sales, Crazy Egg
- Fluid Responsive Typography With CSS Poly Fluid Sizing, mashing Magazine
- Google Material Design Lead shares origin story of the companys design vision, TechCrunch
- How to Conduct Quick & Thorough Page Speed Audits, Search Engine Journal
- How to design for the user…and the bot, VentureBeat
- InfiniteWP vs ManageWP: Which is the Better WordPress Management Tool?, WPExplorer
- Cloud-Based Wake Word Verification Improves “Alexa” Wake Word Accuracy on Your AVS Products, developer.amazon.com
- How travel is driving The Telegraph’s e-commerce business, Digiday
- Product Videos Boost E-Commerce Sales: Stats and Examples, MarketingProfs
- Retail Fails: How Big Chains Plan to go From Bad to Better, AdAge
- Why Amazon is eating the world, TechCrunch
- 7 Simple Steps to Get Started with Segmentation, AWeber Communications
- 7 Superpowers That Make Email Marketing Successful, Movable Ink Blog
- Marketers: Are you ready for Canada’s July 1 spam law?, VentureBeat
General Internet Marketing
- 10 Things to Remember When Creating a Brand Ambassador Program, Mack Collier
- 8 Tips for Influencer Marketing on a Budget, Social Media Explorer
- A marketer’s guide to the tricks and hacks of influencers, Digiday
- A Network Ad Wrangler Undaunted by Facebook and Google, New York Times
- FTC and Federal, State and International Partners Announce Major Crackdown on Tech Support Scams, FTC
- How Good Are Marketers at Personalizing Their Email, Mobile & Web Marketing?, MarketingProfs
Internet Marketing Industry
- How To Use SendGrid and FullContact to Enrich Your Email List, SendGrid
- 5 Ways to Ensure Your Martech Platform Delivers Optimal ROI, MarTech Advisor
- Exploring the Disconnect Between Marketing Speed and IT Operations as Brands Speed MarTech Investment, MarTech Advisor
- Facebook’s new research tool is designed to create a truly conversational AI, The Verge
- Should Chatbots Be a Part of Your Marketing Strategy?, Duct Tape Marketing
- Walk before you run: Marketers must get the basics right before they turn to AI, Econsultancy
- What businesses are failing to see about AI, VentureBeat
- Google is beefing up its web app review process to prevent another phishing attack, The Verge
- The future of mobile user acquisition and attribution, VentureBeat
- TV Industry Mobilizing To Secure Its Fair Share Of Data-Driven Media Spend, AdExchanger
- Unicorn Dinosaurs: How mobile is fueling Fortune 1000 success, Tune
- 5 Self-Branding Tips for Small Business Owners, Small Biz Trends
- 10 Tips to Troubleshoot Your Facebook Ads, Social Media Examiner
- 4 Facebook Ad Features You’re Probably Overlooking, Clix Marketing PPC Blog | Clix Marketing PPC Blog
- Are You Taking Advantage of Facebook’s Small Business Council?, Small Biz Trends
- Facebook Is Automatically Adding Images, Links From Landing Pages to Canvas Ads, Adweek
- How to Join, Participate In and Host Twitter Chats Like A Pro, Jeff Bullas
- Pinterest Is Hosting 4 Free Webinars for Advertisers, Adweek
- Showcasing Social Good through Social Media, Practical Ecommerce
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media Giveaway Campaigns, Simply Measured
- The secrets of viral publishers succeeding on social, NewsWhip
- Twitter Can Now Use Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings to Measure Campaigns in 23 More Countries, Adweek
- Twitter’s Jinen Kamdar Buzzes Off for BuzzFeed, Adweek
- Want in on a Facebook Group? Get ready to take a quiz, The Verge
- 12 Online Tools to Produce Video Content, Practical Ecommerce
- Capture, Then Captivate: the Science and Magic Behind Video Ads That Connect, Adweek
- Facebook cracks down on fake live videos, TechCrunch
- How YouTube latecomer Vox beat the odds and built a big channel, Digiday
- Publishers are using Facebook video to drive commerce revenue, Digiday
- The winners of the US and Canada YouTube NextUp class of 2017 are in!, YouTube Creator Blog
- YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki: Charlie Rose, Bloomberg
- YouTube still has full albums on its platform, and that’s a problem, The Verge