Marketing Day: Location marketing, Amazon’s brand registry & Facebook header bidding
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- How to track Facebook’s ratio of ads to organic posts in your desktop news feed
Mar 22, 2017 by Tim Peterson
The Facebook Ad Spotter extension for Chrome browsers highlights ads as they appear in the news feed and calculates the ratio of ads to organic posts.
- Why and how entities are shaping location marketing
Mar 22, 2017 by Adam Dorfman
What are entities, and how are they impacting local search marketing? Columnist Adam Dorfman tackles these questions and provides advice to local businesses looking to capitalize on this trend.
- Seriously, Google, can you just make exact match exact?
Mar 22, 2017 by Daniel Gilbert
In the wake of Google’s announced changes to exact match, contributor Daniel Gilbert offers a passionate argument against the shift, as well as a script to help advertisers regain control.
- Amazon to open brand registry next month in effort to fight counterfeit products
Mar 22, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
During an interview at Shoptalk, Amazon VP Peter Faricy said the program was in testing but will soon be available in North America.
- Facebook adopts header bidding to make its ad network more competitive with Google’s
Mar 22, 2017 by Tim Peterson
By Facebook adopting header bidding, publishers will get a better look at which ad network can get them a better deal.
- Adobe launches a super-cloud to manage customer experience
Mar 22, 2017 by Barry Levine
This new uber-cloud reorganizes existing capabilities and adds a variety of new features to power omnichannel experiences from online to traditional TV.
- LinkedIn updates Sales Navigator
Mar 22, 2017 by Barry Levine
The new additions are part of an effort by the Microsoft-owned professional social network to be as useful to salespeople as email and CRMs.
- A day in the life of a social CMI pro
Mar 22, 2017 by Will McInnes
What exactly does a consumer market insights professional do? Contributor Will McInnes gives you an inside look at the social CMI world.
- UTM tags + Facebook ads = awesome
Mar 22, 2017 by Brett Middleton
If you’re testing out Facebook advertising for lead gen, understanding the results can be tricky. Contributor Brett Middleton outlines three optimization tactics to help you make data-driven decisions.
- Foursquare offers Analytics product for retailers, multi-location brands
Mar 22, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Benchmarking and audience measurement tool enables retailers, QSR chains and others with physical locations to understand audience visitation trends.
- Instagram now has more than 1M advertisers, doubling in past 6 months
Mar 22, 2017 by Tim Peterson
As Instagram’s advertiser base has ballooned, so has the number of people using the app to contact brands.
- Marketing in a ‘Post-Digital’ World: New rules for connecting with today’s customer
Mar 21, 2017 by Digital Marketing Depot
Today’s customer operates in a ‘post-digital’ world, where the boundaries between physical and digital have disappeared. Empowered customers demand more from brand relationships, and expect an experience that is personal, relevant, and technologically seamless at every touchpoint.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
Blogs & Blogging
- Blogging Grit: Do You Have Enough To Succeed?, Heidi Cohen
- Discover The One Detail that Boosts Your Blogging and Marketing Engagement – Every Time, Blog Tyrant
- How to Use Twitter to Drive More Traffic to Your Blog, Social Media Examiner
- Baidu’s artificial intelligence wizard, Andrew Ng, has resigned from the company, Quartz
- Latest Research on Top-Performing Technology Marketers Use of Content, Content Marketing Institute
- Which Content Marketing Strategies Have the Biggest Impact on Keyword Rankings?, Quick Sprout
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Adding Images to WordPress Sidebars Is About to Get a Lot Easier, WordPress Tavern
- Are YouTube Videos Slowing Down Your Website?, Small Biz Trends
- Do you believe domaining will still be a viable business in 2027?, The Domains
- 40 Reasons Video Will Be Essential in Ecommerce Marketing in 2017, MarTech Advisor
- A Fine Balance: How Innovation in Ecommerce is Bringing Merchants Higher Returns, MarTech Advisor
- An introduction to AI-powered ecommerce merchandising, Econsultancy
- Walmart Is Behind In Ecommerce; Digital Ads Go Up In Price, AdExchanger
- 6 Reasons I Blew Up My Email Newsletter and Started Over, Convince and Convert
- How to Build Better Loyalty Emails, Movable Ink Blog
- Spring Clean Your Email Marketing Efforts, VerticalResponse
- Why You Need to Send More Email Than You Think, Constant Contact
General Internet Marketing
- 4 Questions You Must Answer to Develop Your Marketing Strategy, Duct Tape Marketing
- 52% Say Majority of Their Business Marketing Activity Is Digital, Search Engine Journal
- B2B Marketers Are Way Behind on Influencer Marketing and Here’s the Solution, Top Rank Marketing Blog
- How to Build Relationships with Online Influencers (Without the Awkward), Copyblogger
- Influencer Marketing Is Becoming an Essential Business Strategy, Adweek
- Introducing The Definitive Guide to Account-Based Marketing, Marketo
- Tried and True Marketing Tactics SMBs Can Borrow From Premium Brands, Street Fight
Internet Marketing Industry
- Adbrain Chosen as Digital Addix’s Preferred Cross-Device Partner, PR Web
- Choozle and STRATA Partner to Provide Advertisers Access to a Self-Serve Programmatic Advertising Platform, Business Wire
- Eyeota Partners with ALC to Deliver Real World Data to Brands Across the Globe, Eyeota
- Harte Hanks Partners with Usermind to Offer Customer Experience Orchestration and Consulting Services, Market Wired
- Linc Global Innovates Returns Process by Using API Technology from Pitney Bowes, Pitney Bowes
- Nielsen Catalina Solutions and Moat Help Marketers Study How Viewability and Attention Metrics Relate To Offline Sales, Business Wire
- Optimove Adds AI-Powered Product and Replenishment Recommendations to its Customer Marketing Cloud, PR Newswire
- Pega deepens its AI capabilities in Pega Sales Automation to help businesses accelerate sales cycles and win more deals, Market Wired
- Reach Analytics Adds Automated Response Modeling Capabilities to Its Self-Service Predictive, PR Newswire
- Say Goodbye To Lead Forms: Now You Can Qualify Leads In Real-Time With Drift, Drift
- Survey Finds B2B Marketers Have Higher Satisfaction When Working with Multiple Third-Party Data Providers, Market Wired
- ‘Today’s Marketer Needs to Be Data-Driven’: DiscoverOrg CEO Henry Schuck on Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Martech, Contently
- Building Blocks: Andy Capener, VP Marketing at Finicity talks Marketing Tech, MarTech Advisor
- Machine Learning Without Empathy Fails, CMS Wire
- Marketing Automation Meets ABM, MarTech Advisor
- Principle and technology together: How adtech protects publisher content, Digiday
- THE HACKIES: A customer-centric approach to building marketing and sales stack, Chief Marketing Technologist
- 6 Ways Retailers Are Using Messaging Apps for Marketing, Street Fight
- Just a Simple Mistake? How a Typo Can Damage Your Reputation, 97th Floor
- Top 10 Global Companies With the Best Brand Reputations Worldwide, MarketingProfs
- 12 Genius Ways to Apply Emotional Marketing to Facebook Ads, Kiss Metrics
- 3 Foolproof Ways to Generate Leads with Social Media, Convince and Convert
- A Guide to LinkedIn Creative Specs, 3Q Digital
- How Much Time Will the Average Person Spend on Social Media During Their Life?, Adweek
- How to Take Social Media Marketing Global & Local at the Same Time, CMS Wire
- In the shadow of Facebook, Snapchat hopes to avoid being the next Twitter, Digiday
- Instagram could transform into a Yelp competitor, The Verge
- Introducing Trending Storylines: Discover trending news and views on LinkedIn, Official LinkedIn Blog
- Is Facebook’s New Jobs Feature Putting LinkedIn in Danger?, Socialbakers
- Squeeze More Out of LinkedIn With These Tips, Clix Marketing PPC Blog
- The Evolving Business of Social in 2017 and Beyond, Adweek
- Who Are Snapchat’s Discover Publishing Partners?, MediaKix
- AT&T pulls Google, YouTube ads over extremist videos, USA Today
- Facebook Live adds PC game and desktop livestreaming, TechCrunch
- Facebook now lets you broadcast live video from a PC, The Verge
- How to Create Videos for Facebook That Standout (A Simple Formula), Jeff Bullas
- How To Leverage Facebook’s Live 360 Videos, Crazy Egg
- Square Video vs. Landscape Video – $1.5K Worth of Experiments: Here’s How They Compare, The Buffer Blog
- The Connected Life Video: Finding the Magic in the Math, AdAge
- The Ins and Outs of Video Content on Facebook, Social Media Explorer
- The Live Blog: March 21, 2017, Facebook Media